Saturday, October 3, 2020

(Post 4) What I want to do and why

 In my film I would like to explore the idea of making something captivating for the audience to watch. Pushing peoples creativity with suspense before they can work out where the storyline may go, hitting them with a stunningly well executed short horror film. The idea of horror may be hard to convey across to the audience I am not necessarily there to scare the audience but its to captivate them with moments of suspense and short moment of shock and freight. 

I am looking to follow a circular narrative using Tzvetan Todorovs narrative theory of the following of three part structure equilibrium. Where we have a balance, progress then a disruption of the norm of a equilibrium then meets a resolution when the equilibrium is restored.


Setting: Forest

The reason I like idea of using a forest is because it can be described as thick, humid, or dense. It could also be described as barren or desolate during the winter, or eerie and terrifying at night time. A forest that has been in a fire could be described as austere or sad, while a healthy forest could be described as alive, and astir with life. There is multiple readings and this can then mean a lead into one another from idea of escapism to then idea of horror.

A forest also gives a playground of sounds, meaning you can create easy diegetic and non diegetic sounds. Birds could be up with canopy's of trees making noise to the Russel and bustle of leaf's as someone walks or animals run. This can create sense of airiness or the sound of silent in a vast area leading to a sense of loneliness. 


                                                              Lighting:

Lighting – an aspect of cinematography lighting is to be low key as it is a horror and I will be looking for dark tones and shadows. I will be relying on the little amount of light that gets through the trees and near by surrounding to have to suspense and horror tones. This technique in horrors is called "the chairscuro" (bright-dark) Brightness will represent safeness for my characters but darkness is the idea of the dragged out of loneliness and suspense of something of a horror nature is occurring.  

                                                                            Props:

My film is going to be very minimalistic with the use of props, I don't believe they will be too necessary. There will be scenes where I will need a couple for example at the opening possibly a phone and headphones. Then later on some props to use for the creative side bugs etc for when my horror ideas come across. Otherwise I am relying on the acting and the shots I decide to take to add most to the film. Part of the reason I'm not using too many props is because I don't want it too look too overdone. I would like it to represent most of real life only up until the horror elements of my film are ready to begin. 

                                     Costume:

The element of real life, this is going to be conveyed with the costume use. I am having the film set in the present day therefore clothes can be the modern day jeans and tops although I need to have the character to be wearing suitable clothes for the idea of going out for a walk in this area. Then my villain of the character (tree monster) the idea of this character I think from a distance can be in dark clothes all black etc but when we have closer shots have idea of there being twigs and branches attached to this costume. (this is only a possibility)

Sound- My film is going to consist of no speech the reason for this is I am focusing on the other elements of sound to add suspense to the film. I feel like the music for the title will give great hint of to come. Then when we have an opening scene of music from headphones this non diegetic over played music will be upbeat to show the idea the main character isn't worried about anything at the moment. Then I can overlay wind, animals and birds to represent sound you may hear with in this setting. Adding element of be scared and later on the sense of being followed.

 CHARACTER EXPRESSION my film isn't going to experience dialogue so I will rely on my close up shots of my characters expressions. This could be shown with the beginning of happiness and while we explore the rest of the film we see the fear shock.This could also be shown with my character movement (when scared be frozen still move slower) or when flight or fright kicks in running with the expression close ups. 

Cinematography: 

In my film I am looking to use as many learned techniques of editing and the use of my cuts and transitions. You can see some of my practiced work from some previous posts. Going into this film I have looked to explore new techniques and perform the ones I know best to the way I know I can excuse them. I will use a wide range of shots from long, medium, short. With different timed cuts. 

I will add in some match on action (when my character enters the woods) invisible cuts will be good possibly when my character walks towards the camera then camera end up flipping and we see the character from behind. When my character is walking I will use a montage of new locations to show the passing of time in quickest way possible. this also could use a jump cut during this montage so to say if its a long path and is a majority I would like to show.I am looking to explore the use of j/l cuts so you can anticipate what is next but also adds to the mood and realism of possibly seeing or hearing before anything happens. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Narnia recreation